Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Travel Tip Tuesday

I was reading one of my favorite Disney guide books the other day and for the first time I can ever remember, I disagreed with something that I read. They were talking about the best shoes to wear for touring the parks. They actually alluded to the fact that the only good option was tennis shoes. I so disagree. The best option is whatever you are used to and the ones that feel good on your feet.

So, if you wear tennis shoes all the time, yes, they are the best option. They give good support, they are designed to handle shock, and they last for many many miles. Also, they protect your feet from the many times in which you will be run over by a stroller (not your own) throughout the day.

HOWEVER, if you are not used to wearing tennis shoes and you try to wear them for a week of walking miles upon miles every day, you WILL regret it. I fall into this camp. I am definitely a flip flop girl. Living in the south, I wear them daily from March until November. I will wear them until my toes get frosty :) That being said, since we go to Disney in October, I am still in flip flop mode in my life. So if I go to Disney and try to wear tennis shoes, my feet hurt. BAD. My toes are screaming by the end of the day. So, what I do is try wearing tennis shoes a little bit before our trip just to get my toes used to it. Then I take my tennis shoes with us on the trip and wear them a few days of the trip. However, most every other day I wear my flip flops around the parks.

Now, to clarify, I am not talking the cheap flops you get for $4 at Old Navy. I couldn't handle that. I wear Nike flip flops every day. They have really cushioned bottoms and the thong part is very comfy and doesn't cause blisters. My whole family actually wears these flops. My husband doesn't even take breaks during the trip to wear tennis shoes. He wears his flip flops every day. So far, none of us have regretted our choices. You have to wear what is comfortable on your feet every day at home in order to be comfortable at Disney. Most of all, remember that Disney is not the place to break in new shoes. Take old comfy shoes, and go ahead and pack some blister band aids and moleskin just in case. That heat and humidity can still cause blisters with all of that walking with even the most broken in pair of shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment