Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Travel Tip Tuesday

I have mentioned before that you can actually save money on a Disney vacation, and have mentioned bringing your own food for breakfast. This post is to give you a few very specific examples of how this can work for you even if your room does not have a kitchenette.

As I have mentioned, we always stay at Value resorts, mainly at Pop Century. Those rooms do not have anything that helps you prepare foods. There are no in room coffee makers, no microwaves, and no mini fridges (unless you pay the $10 a day rental fee). However, it is still very possible to make breakfast every day. The food courts have almost anything you need to make a quick cheap breakfast.

Most food courts have toasters and/or toaster ovens. These allow for toasting of bagels, toast, english muffins, or pop tarts. We often take a package or two of bagels, a couple of bananas or apples, and a bag of donuts or muffins, and that is what we eat every day. I have also taken my own throw away bowls and spoons before with mini boxes of cereal. You can purchase small containers of milk in the food court and save quite a bit over the cost of buying a whole meal in the parks.

As for drinks, there are several options as well. I try to take a couple of Juicy Juice drink boxes and drink one each morning. They are warm, but at least I start the day with a little juice. Another choice is to purchase a refillable mug at the beginning of the trip. You can fill it up as many times as you want during your stay and the options with it seem endless....there are soda machines, coffee, tea machines, hot chocolate, or of course water. Juice is not an option however, unless you buy a bottle from the food court. If you want cold juice, bring your own boxes like I do, get ice from the machine in your refillable mug, and poor your juice box over the ice. One final option for drinks is to bring your own hot chocolate packets or Starbucks via packets and get hot water out of the coffee machine (you will need your own cup for this though).

While we are on the subject of beverages, if you are big coffee drinker, know that the coffee isn't the best in the world. There aren't a lot of options either. There is only one kind to choose from, and the creamers are just basic. If you are like me and enjoy flavored coffee, bring your own coffee creamer from home as well. If you are enjoy tea, they do have a tea machine that has a few different options. I remember something about Green Tea and something with lemon I believe (not a tea drinker myself, but I am sure most of you who are know the square tea machine I am talking about as I have seen it in a few restaurants in the area).

So, here are a few ways to save a few bucks on breakfast at Disney. I myself can't bring myself to spend a lot of money on breakfast since we don't like to eat big meals in the morning. We would rather have something basic, then be ready to eat a yummy lunch earlier in the day. Therefore, we bring our breakfast from home and save the money for bigger and better meals :)

No comments:

Post a Comment