Monday, May 16, 2011

Quick Service Disney Dining Plan...a new persepective

Well, until a few months ago, I always said I would probably never purchase the quick service dining plan. I could not see the "value" in it. I mean realistically, at every meal we are not going to be able to get our money's worth out of the plan. Our family would not order dessert at every meal, and usually we can get by sharing some meals among the three of us. So, based on this information, when I look at old receipts from past trips, I can't see how we would spend $35 per adult and $12 for my child in food every single day. Seriously, $82 a day for food when I can get a whole weeks worth of groceries for that at home? It can't be worth the value.

Well, after our trip to Disneyland, we discovered a whole new definition and appreciation for the word value when it comes to Disney dining. Our new interpretation for the word is based on convenience and the ability to plan ahead for all dining expenses. The three of us ate several counter service meals at Disneyland. Each meal we usually shared two adult meals between the three of us, and in some cases one adult and one child meal. This also meant a free cup of ice water for my daughter, and a shared large drink (with no ice) between my husband and myself. No matter how hard we tried, we couldn't feed three of us for less than $30 a meal. Ouch. It was painful to pull out that wallet every time and spend that much for either two burgers or two slices of pizza. Plus we were having to agree on a common meal for everyone so someone was always compromising something on the meal choice. Plus, a little while later, one of us would be hungry for a snack. Those were all around an extra $3.00 each. So add those to the other two meals and we spent a minimum of $66 a day on food (not counting our breakfast).


After a few meals, I was desperately wishing we were back in Disney World on past trips where I could just simply swipe a card and the food was "magically" mine. At least it felt magical since I had long ago paid for that meal and I didn't have to worry about how much that meal was. I also didn't have to think, ok, if I choose to add an order of french fries, does that mean I can't get that one last souvenir I want?


When we are on the Dining plan, I know exactly how much all of our meals are going to cost ahead of time and that is one less thing I have to worry about on our magical escape from reality. I have already budgeted that fixed amount and paid for it before I even left the house. So, since my room has already been paid for, along with all of my food, all I have to worry about is expenses for my treasures, and gas to get back home. I will take that mentality any day. The truth is, when I go to Disney, I 100% escape from reality. I get away from it all. This is one more reason I choose the Dining plan. I can eat wherever I feel like at that moment, and not have to worry about how much it is going to cost me. I can walk up, order whatever, and maybe even treat myself to a tasty dessert every now and then. Goodness knows I will walk it off before the day is over!

So, in closing, I have already added the quick service plan to our upcoming October trip. Don't get me wrong, I am hoping against hope that Disney will continue their trend of offering free dining in the fall and we will keep our trend alive and get free dining for the sixth year in a row. However, if they don't give it to me free, I will still happily pay for the plan. With two counter service meals a day, two snacks a day, and a free refillable mug for each of us at our hotel, I think we will get our "value" out of it. It may not be monetary value, but we will definitely value the fact that we can pre-budget our trip and enjoy any food we want, whenever we want it, on our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment