Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Travel Tip Tuesday

Ok guys, here is one of my secrets for saving money on Disney World souvenirs. It truly is possible to buy t-shirts, mugs, toys, and pins ON SALE!!!! We just recently found this little secret, and to tell the truth, I hate to share it. So, as long as you promise not to beat me to the deals when I am there over fall break, I will allow you to finish reading this post. :)

There are two outlet centers in Orlando that I have fallen in love with. Not because they are HUGE and filled with lots of my favorite stores. That is just a bonus. Sadly, I haven't been able to explore them like I would like to since I am not in Orlando to shop, but instead to visit the parks. I don't want to take time away from touring to shop (and believe me, that says a lot for me as I am a shopper). However, the one reason I will make it a point to visit at least one of these outlets every trip, is due to the fact that they have an outlet that sells Disney World merchandise. The store name is Character Premiere. This is actual merchandise from the parks. The employees work for Disney (and the proof is in the fact that they do pin trading and vinylmation trading in the stores). It is always so much fun to walk around the store and check out the deals. Now remember, I did say this is owned by Disney, so the prices are not going to be rock bottom. However, the prices are lower than those in the parks, and a few times, I have even seen the same items in the store that are on sale at World of Disney (the big store at Downtown Disney).

I recommend saving the bulk of your buying for later in your trip and heading to the outlets before you buy t-shirts and toys. Then, if you don't see a shirt or fun item at Character Premiere that you like, go back to World of Disney and do all of your shopping at one place. For the most part, you will not see the same merchandise at the outlet as you will at the park so if there is a particular item you have to have while at the parks, buy it. If however you just want any T-shirt to remember your trip by, or if your kids will be happy with any plush Mickey or Tinkerbell doll, head to the outlets first. We have gotten many shirts for $12.99 and $16.99 that we would have easily spent at least $25 each for in the parks. My favorite deal so far is a zip up fleece hoodie with Mickey on the back for $9.99. These sell for around $40 in the parks.

One more thing to keep in mind is that for the most part they have broad Disney World souvenirs. The majority of the merchandise will say Walt Disney World or Disney Cruise Lines, but most of the time they don't have park specific merchandise. In other words, if you want something that says Magic Kingdom on it, you will want to buy that at Magic Kingdom. I have seen Animal Kingdom merchandise in there before, but that is the only park that stands out to me right now.

So, where do you find these Character Premier stores? There are two in the Orlando area, both at Prime Outlets. One is on International Drive and one on Vineland Avenue (this is about 3 miles from Downtown Disney, right along I4). If I remember correctly, they are both located near the food court in each mall. On a side note, if you are going to be in St. Augestine, there is one of these stores in the outlet mall there as well. We really got a lot of great deals there last year during our trips to the beach.

Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment