Sunday, July 18, 2010

Favorite Quick Service Restaurants

Today I look at my favorite quick service restaurants in each park. For those of you may not be familiar with the term quick service, it is a walk up restaurant where you order fast food type food and seat yourself. If you happen to get one of the Disney dining plans, chances are very good that you will be spending a lot of time in this type of restaurant. For the most part, the food is pretty good, but there are certain foods (i.e. hamburgers and wraps) that seem to be on most of the menus throughout the World. We sometimes have to look a little harder towards the end of our trips to find something different. Luckily, these types of foods to exist, you just have to look for them. It is a little harder to find things other than pizza and chicken nuggets however for the little ones. Luckily for us, our child can live off of this for 10 days straight and not complain (too much anyway). So let's get to the list.

Epcot
Hands down my favorite place to eat here is in the Sunshine Seasons food court in the Land pavilion. Not only is there so much variety here, it is probably the best bang for your buck. Although we are usually on the dining plan, we still try to find places where we can really get a lot of food for our credits. This place definitely fits the bill. You can choose from a whole rotisserie chicken at one window, Chinese meals with more food than I could possibly eat, or huge sandwiches that even those of us with huge mouths have a hard time biting into. After I literally fill my tray with enough food for the whole family (while only using one entitlement on the dining plan) I head to the dessert bar. The dining plan allows each person to get one entree, one drink, and one dessert per meal. The desserts at this place are freshly baked, enormous, and the options are plentiful. You can choose butterfinger cake, strawberry shortcake, cookies, or mickey rice krispy treats to only name a few. One more plus for this restaurant is that they let you refill your drinks. This is a very nice plus on a really hot day. This is a must do for the entire family. We all get what we want and walk away stuffed every time.

Hollywood Studios

We love going to Toy Story Pizza Planet here. This is a fun place to eat, and the pizza is pretty good. The individual pizzas are pretty big here and also pretty tasty for being theme park fare. If you are on the dining plan, you get to choose either a salad or chips to go with your pizza as well. Once you choose your food you carry it into the arcade and choose a table among the noise. My daughter loves it since it has several arcade games to play and it is decorated like the pizza planet in the movie. It is a nice cool break from our fast and furious park touring and it allows my little girl a chance to play and let off some steam.
Animal Kingdom
This was a hard choice for me. Not because I love so many of the options here, but because nothing really stands out to me. We have eaten at Pizzafari several times and it isn't horrible. The pizzas are decent and one time I had a meatball sub that was pretty good, but I definitely would be ok if I went my whole trip without eating here. Last year we really wanted to try the new picnic in the park option. It is a pretty neat concept and supposedly the food is really good and plentiful. I have heard several people say that food for two could easily feed at least three so it sounds like a good option. Upon hearing this I immediately wanted to try it. So, upon arrival to the park, we headed over to the booth where you order your meal for a particular time later in the day. My husband and I looked at the menu and found a sandwich that looked pretty good to both of us (everyone in the group had to order the same thing). When we tried to place the order, we found out that you can't special order the sandwich. My husband and daughter are both pretty picky and just don't like mayonnaise based sauces and tomatoes. Most things can be picked off, but not sauces. So, since a rotisserie chicken didn't sound good to me that day, we passed. I am crossing my fingers that they have made some changes to your options this year and that we can give this a try this year. Until then, I guess we will stick with Pizzafari.

Magic Kingdom
I am having a really hard time picking my favorite here as well, but for totally different reasons than the ones I gave for Animal Kingdom. A few years ago I would have said Cosmic Rays in Tomorrowland is the best place to eat. They have three different windows to choose from that have foods such as wraps, burgers, sandwiches, and ribs. My husband loves to get the chicken and ribs combo here, and always feels like he got a great value for the dining plan entitlement. Once you order your food, you can go to the toppings bar and smother your plate with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, etc. You could almost make a mini salad if you wanted to. It is yummy and our whole family can easily fill ourselves up. Last year, we found Pecos Bills. I had heard about it for several years, but in the back of my mind I thought there was no way it could match Cosmic Rays. I admit that I was wrong. It is just as good, and maybe a little bit better. Here you can order burgers, wraps, or taco salads. It too has a big fixings bar, but this one may be a little better. I loved the sauteed mushrooms and cheese sauce for my french fries, along with all the lettuce, tomatoes, etc. The only downside of this restaurant is that although it has a lot of seating, it is easy to get turned around and separated due to all of the rooms. Also, the bar gets very congested during heavy times. I still think it is worth it though, and will probably be a must do for future trips.

Honorable Mention
I also love the food court at Pop Century resort. There are so many options here I couldn't even begin to list them all. I truly believe that even the pickiest eater could find something here at least once. A bonus here is that they have a tie dyed cheesecake that is super yummy as a dessert option, or you can get something from the ice cream bar. Just tell the cashier that you want a milkshake or sundae for your dessert and they will stamp your receipt so that you can redeem it when you finish your meal. We are usually in the parks from the time they open until closing so we don't always get a chance to eat here, but when we do I really really enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment